No Man’s Sky is all the buzz yet again as the latest update brings some very interesting new toys and features.
What are these toys and features?
No Man’s Sky Space Outlaws Update
After all these years, NMS is finally upping the owned ship count. Now, Hello Gamers can own up to 9 starships.
This feature is perfectly timed too because they have also added a new Solar Ship to the universe for us to collect. Several variations are available that allow the player to show off their unique new ship! There are also more high-capacity cargo upgrades available for ships.
Outlaws Space Stations
Space stations across the galaxy have fallen to outlaw control. Rebel forces have seized system authority, forcing their surrender, and opening space for piracy.
Outlaw Systems have:
- Technology Merchants – contraband marketplaces
- Pirate Mission Agents – get rewarded for completing piracy missions. The Bounty Master offers high value missions to willing pirates.
Space combat has received massive improvements. Risks and reward have been rebalanced for a greater overall experience. Explosions will also now be more dramatic.
Auto Pilot can be employed to enable automatic target locking in space combat. This mode automatic tracks enemy ships.
Energy Shields – Pirate, trader, and sentinel starships now come equipped with energy shields. These have varying strength and recharge speed.
Starship weapons have been rebalanced to promote tactical decisions during combat, each will also have a different effect on ships, shields, and other parts. Example, the Cyclotron Ballista will now disable ship engines while the Phase Beam can leech shield energy.
You will now be able to see passing fleets while on planetary surfaces. Look up from time to time, you will see them. Additionally, the warp and engine effects of all frigates and freighters have been overhauled.
Smuggling & Piracy
Purchase contraband goods and smuggle them into regulated systems for large profits. System authorities may scan passing ships and probe their cargo for illegal goods. Those sentinel interceptors will be primed to stop the sale of such goods. Cargo probe deflectors can be installed for professional smugglers.
Interstellar piracy will deliver great rewards. Those that prey on trader ships or passing freighters will receive greater rewards. These actions will decrease your reputation with the faction involved; however, this can now be restored by presenting a Forged Passport to the Station Core, located inside any regulated space station.
Settlements, bases, and anything else on planetary surfaces are no longer safe from ship combat. You may now need to engage in fierce dogfights against outlaw or sentinel ships within planetary atmospheres.
Now, you can have a full-on posse. Recruit roaming pilots into your squadron to accompany you. They will fly in formation if requested and will automatically warp to you in the event you get locked into combat. These Wingmen can be managed and upgraded. Do this from the comfort of your Manage Fleet Terminal aboard your capital ship.
Expedition Six: Blighted
A 6th expedition is now available! The Blight are a group of pirates whose secret is in need of reveal. Journey the stars to learn of this narrative-based secret.
- Battle-worn Outlaw Cape
- Wayward Cube base decoration
- Assortment of flags
- assortment of posters
- unique starship trail
Additional Update Notes
OPTIMISATIONS & BUG FIXES
- Introduced several very significant memory optimisations, improving stability and performance especially on base consoles.
- Introduced a significant optimisation to texture memory usage.
- Introduced an optimisation to creature and Sentinel navigation.
- Introduced a significant optimisation for bases and settlements.
- Fixed a crash related to input settings.
- Fixed several threading crashes in the UI.
- Fixed a crash related to technology item popups.
- Fixed a crash related to base building.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using a mineral extractor.
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur during warp.
- Fixed a rare crash in the Appearance Modifier UI.
- Fixed an issue that caused many underwater creatures to spawn without their correct procedural settings, dramatically reducing water lifeform variety.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent particular rare planetary creatures from ever spawning.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Livestock Unit to fail to harvest products from specific exotic creatures.
- Fixed an issue that caused the [ The Sentry ] to appear angry when shot by the player.
- Fixed an issue that caused [ The Sentry ] to report the player’s position to hostile Sentinel drones.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Sentinel Quad companion to prevent other Sentinels from spawning.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Sentinels to stop spawning during combat, leaving no progression through the wanted levels.
- Fixed an issue where a generic ‘Evade Sentinels’ hint would be displayed during missions that encouraged confrontation with Sentinels.
- Fixed an issue that could cause bases to lose their base computer, and restored the base computer to all affected bases.
- Fixed an issue that could cause players to get stuck underneath or on top of buildings and other structures.
- Fixed an issue that could cause multiplayer bases to display in the teleporter UI when multiplayer was disabled.
- Fixed a multiplayer exploit that could allow bases to be synced from blocked players in ambient sessions.
- Fixed a rare issue that could cause players to teleport outside the bounds of a Space Station.
- Fixed a rare issue that could prevent interaction with various NPCs and objects in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue where summoning the Sentinel Quad companion aboard the Space Anomaly could cause desyncs with other players.
- Fixed an issue that could cause mission destinations to be desynced in multiplayer.
- Fixed an issue that caused the starship cockpit pitch indicator to show an incorrect angle.
- Fixed an issue that caused the starship cockpit pitch indicator to render incorrectly at various HUD scales.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the Inventory page to auto-open onto an inventory that could not currently be accessed.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Exocraft technology tree to be clipped at the sides.
- Fixed a visual issue with the LODs at Sentinel Pillars.
- Fixed a number of UI overlap issues with the base building menu.
- Fixed a misleading ‘Attempt to Download’ message displaying on the Community Expedition UI when that was not the correct error.
- Fixed a number of issues with the UI and popups when attempting to warp to a new galaxy.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a long delay when transitioning to/from some freighter interactions, such as colour customisation.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a long delay in a dialogue sequence if the player received a new item in the middle of the sequence.
- Fixed an issue that could cause player hands to disappear when getting into the ship in VR.
- Fixed a visual issue with the Emergency Light base building objects.
- Fixed a visual glitch with door animations in several base building wall pieces.
- Fixed an issue that could cause consumable reward items to all generate the same rewards if redeemed in a short time window.
- Fixed a number of issues with NPC ships when flying close to the player, for example when using the starship communicator.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent corrupted Sentinels from spawning at scrap heaps.
- Fixed an issue that could cause mission destinations to go missing or jump to new locations after save/load.
- Purchasable frigates will no longer attempt to call the player on the starship communicator during space combat.
- Fixed a mission issue that could spawn too many Sentinel Flares into a player’s inventory.
- Fixed an issue that caused the starship to take ground impact damage when crashing into another starship.